Black and White – An Alternative Visual World

black and white an alternative visual world

8 Responses

1. Donna Marie says:

Hi,
    You pictures were beautiful.
    The reason I prefer black & white photography is the colour in-between, the shadows speak volumes and the light dances regardless of its background.
    There is also comfort amongst t the reality of presence.
    Thank you for sharing.

• Rick says:

Hello Donna – thanks for your kind comment. I am still finding my way, so to speak, with black and white photography. It is such a different genre overall from colour – with so much to learn.
      Thanks, Rick

2. Dudley Jacomb says:

Brilliant photos. I love taking black and white photographs. I just wish I was better at it

• Rick says:

Thanks for taking the time to comment Jacob – and thanks too for the kind words about my photos. I personally think what is important when we take photos is to satisfy ourselves first. Assessing anyone’s images is always subjective, so enjoy your own images, and if other people like them, that is a bonus! Happy days, Rick

3. Craig says:

I to just dusted off a Nikon FM that sat idle for 20 years and have rediscovered
    film photography. After shooting some rolls of “new” color I’ve already gravitated back to B&W as the preferred
    medium. Your pictures are beautiful.

• Rick says:

Hi Craig – thanks for your kind words.
      Since I published this story I have only shot about 6 exposures on the roll of black and white Ilford film I loaded into the old Canon EOS1000F, as other things have occupied my mind and time. I will however get onto finishing the roll and posting images here. So – watch this space.
      Maybe you could send me a wee story and some images and I’ll share them on my blog. Let me know and I’ll tell you how to send them to me.
      Cheers, Rick

4. As a professional photographer, originally trained in the seventies, a lot of our work was on large format (5×4) b&w film. Architectural subjects in particular, with a cloud formation behind, can be made to appear very dramatic and impactful. We used a dark orange filter on 400ASA film rated at 125ASA. This darkens blue sky, enhancing the clouds. You can use a polarising filter for colour photography, but the effect is never as striking.
    Nice shots by the way.

• Rick says:

Thanks for taking the time to comment here John – I appreciate it. I was a “snapshot” photographer back in the seventies – not that I am much better now hah hah – and my first serious camera was a Minolta Himatic 7s which I purchased to accompany me on my OE. I’d love to have one of those again. I have checked out you website – lots of helpful stuff there.
      Cheers, Rick